- Symptoms of COVID-19 primarily include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. These symptoms appear 2 to 14 days after exposure AND are very similar to common respiratory illnesses typically found in the community
- COVID-19 spreads between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) via coughs or sneezes. It may also spread by touching a surface or object with the virus on it.
- People are thought to be most contagious when they are the sickest, though some spread is possible before people show symptoms.
- Preventionstarts with practicing good personal health habits: stay home when you’re sick, cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, wash your hands often with soap and water, and clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Getting plenty of rest, drinking fluids, eating healthy foods, and managing your stress may help you prevent getting COVID-19 and recover from it if you do.
There are steps people should take to reduce their risk of getting and spreading any viral respiratory infections including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill.
If you feel ill, please contact your local primary care provider for further guidance
PNWSP | Message from the President 2020
I am writing to you as a member and 2020 president of the Pacific Northwest Society of Pathologists (PNWSP) to strongly encourage you to renew your dues with the PNWSP for the 2020-2023 – three year cycle. We appreciate your membership and participation within our society. Dues are $100.00 per year, renewable once every three years. We encourage you to pay your dues on- line at www.pnwsp.org
The PNWSP, a not-for-profit organization, has a prominent role as a provider of pathology educational conferences, twice a year. Your membership allows us to provide excellent educational programs with exceptional faculty.
Please save the date and join us in Vancouver, British Columbia in the spring of 2020 (The Sutton Place Hotel on May 9-10, 2020). Our fall 2020 meeting will be in Seattle, Washington and is in the planning process.
It is vital that the PNWSP maintain and strengthen its membership base. I encourage all existing members to renew their membership, and please encourage any of your colleagues who are not members to join us. Your membership dues are vital for us to invite world-renowned speakers and leaders in pathology to our local meetings.
We look forward to your support and we hope to see you at our next education meeting.
Ananta Gurung, MD, FRCPC, FASCP